TURN YOUR BACKYARD INTO A RESTFUL RETREAT—NO LANDSCAPING REQUIRED
Spending time in your backyard, whether you’re entertaining friends or simply kicking back with a good book, is always a great way to unwind. Which is why your backyard should be a comfortable space that you absolutely love.
And creating the ideal place to hang out doesn’t require a lot of heavy lifting on your part—just a little upfront planning.
Start by adding some container plants. Even if your yard already boasts flowerbeds, potted plants of various heights bring color directly to your “room” while giving it dimension. If you have a lot of space, consider displaying a collection of plants, like succulents, for even more visual interest.
Need privacy? A lattice panel works well for creating solitude as well as doubles as a trellis for climbing annuals or perennials.
Once you have those essentials in place, it’s time for some eye-catching, yet functional touches:
- String lights. Nothing says “festive” like string lights. Available in all types of styles and bulbs, string lights are perfect for setting evening ambiance.
- Decorative pillows. Pillows are a comfy, finishing touch that invite friends to stay a while. (Look for pillows in durable outdoor fabrics that resist fading and mildew.)
- An all-weather rug. Ground your space with a synthetic rug made specifically for the outdoors. All-weather rugs are stain and fade-resistant, and easy to clean with the squirt of a hose.
- A small fountain. Bring a little zen into your outdoor room with a water feature. You can even get creative and make your own—all you need is a pot, submersible pump and a basin for collecting and recirculating the water.
- A freestanding fire pit. A freestanding fire pit is great for extending the season when the weather starts to get chilly, as well as for roasting marshmallows with the kids.
Source: Hunter Douglas
GET IN TOUCH